I’ve finished the work on the most of the new features and the new core system. So, I think it’s a good time for a public preview. You can download the current beta version via wordpress.org and follow the development via GitHub. Questions, comments, bug reports are welcome!
Please note, that I not recommend to use this version on productive sites. It’s also not possible to use older versions parallel to this beta version.
Let’s have a quick look to the cool new features.
Publication management improvements
For all publication lists a real author filter is added. The old filter is now declared as user filter.
With a new parameter for [tpcloud] called „show_tags_as“, you can now choice between a tag cloud or a pulldown menu filter for tags.
- DOI field for publications,
- Autocomplete for authors/editors in admin UI,
- Direct .bib export for selected publications (via „Show as BibTeX entry“),
- Option for converting utf-8 chars into BibTeX compatible ASCII strings.
- [tpcloud, tplist]: Pagination is enabled by default, the parameter entries_per_page is set to 50 (before: 30)
Course Management improvements
Document management: Upload and manage course documents outside of the normal WordPress media library and in a separate directory. The plugin supports adding, editing, sorting and deleting of documents simple via drag & drop.
Assessment management: Manage course results or assessments for all of your registered students directly in teachPress.
Simple capability management: Define which users have an access to your course, simple and quick.
- Direct creation of related content based on drafts: You can now add new related content (post, page, …) for a course based on drafts. For the drafts, you can use course shortcodes like [tpcoursedate [course_id]] or [tpcoursedocs [course_id]]. With that, the plugin automatically sets the correct course ID, if you create new content based on the drafts.
- Direct creation of sub courses: If you create a new course, you can define how many sub courses you need, which type and how many free places they should have.
- New shortcodes: [tpcoursedate], [tpcoursedocs]
- The shortcode [tpdate] is deprecated. Please use [tpcoursedate] instead.
General changes and improvements:
A new tinyMCE 4 plugin for inserting shortcodes and documents is added.
- The plugin supports an easy management (adding, editing, deleting) of custom meta data for courses, students and publications.
- Editable time limit for exports and uploads added (constant TEACHPRESS_TIME_LIMIT).
- Using „required“ attribute for required fields in registration forms
- Using parameters instead of variables for the definition of database table names
- Visible names for some publication types changed
- The parameters TP_COURSE_SYSTEM and TP_PUBLICATION_SYSTEM were renamed to TEACHPRESS_COURSE_MODULE and TEACHPRESS_PUBLICATION_MODULE
- The plugin requires at least WordPress 3.9 instead of 3.3
- The following functions are deprecated: get_tp_course(), get_tp_courses(), get_tp_course_free_places(), get_tp_tags(), get_tp_tag_cloud(), get_tp_publication(), get_tp_publications(), tp_is_user_subscribed(), tp_check_bookmark(), tp_admin_page_menu()